IV. Research and Report Summaries
Progress Report on the Presidential Commission on Election Administration: Improving the Efficiency of Elections, Increasing Access to Voting – The Democracy Fund, September 2016: lThis report follows up on recommendations made in 2014 by the Presidential Commission on Election Administration and highlights issues related to voter registration (including online voter registration), access to voting, polling place management, and voting technology.
The Ruderman White Paper: Voting Accessibility for People with Disabilities – by Norm Ornstein and Kristina Kopic, September 2016: This report identifies recurring barriers to voting accessibility for people with disabilities including:
- Insufficient poll worker training;
- Access barriers to polls;
- Access barriers to elections material and registration material prior to elections;
- Stigma (including against developmental and psychiatric disabilities); and
- Limitations on resources available to election officials
In speaking with experts on election administration and accessibility, they find solutions currently exists to all of these challenges.